First off, the 3-seeded Louisville Women’s Team downed #14 seed Seton Hall 4-0 earlier today, meaning they will advance to the second round of the Big East Championships tomorrow to play Rutgers (12 pm start), the six seed. The Cards haven’t played Rutgers since 2011, in which they defeated the Scarlet Knights. History is (somewhat) on their side.
WINNING RESULTS FOR WOMEN’S TENNIS:
- Doubles team of Manuela Velasquez and Mandy Brown (UofL) beat Anna Guryanova and Alex Landert (SHU). Becky Bodine and Stefanie Villajuan (UofL) beat Madison Shoemaker and Julia Keenan (SHU) to go up 1-0.
- Becky Bodine (UofL) won her singles match with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Karina Cordero (SHU). Cards go up 2-0.
- Mandy Brown (UofL) won her match 6-0, 7-6 against Madison Shoemaker (SHU). Shoemaker put up a good fight and looked like she might win the only set of the day for the Pirates, but Brown was able to pull the match out for herself to put the Cards up 3-0.
- One of Louisville’s better players, Rebecca Shines, won the final match of the day against Rocio Portela (SHU) 6-2, 6-3. The Cards earned their victory and beat Seton Hall 4-0.
PROBABLE MATCHUPS VS RUTGERS:
- Fellerhoff/Shine (UofL) vs Petrini/Li (RU)
- Bodine/Villajuan (UofL) vs Kayati/Zein (RU)
- Velasquez/Brown (UofL) vs Balasa/Balsamo (RU)
The only losing doubles team for RU vs St. John’s today was Balasa/Balsamo, who lost 8-4.
- Julia Fellerhoff (UofL) vs Vanessa Petrini (RU)
- Rebecca Shine (UofL) vs Gina Li (RU)
- Manuela Velasquez (UofL) vs Lindsey Kayati (RU)
- Stefanie Villajuan (UofL) vs Stefania Balasa (RU)
- Mandy Brown (UofL) vs Mariam Zein (RU)
- Rebecca Bodine (UofL) vs Noor Judeh (RU)
The RU players to lose today were Petrini (6-0, 6-1) and Balasa (6-3, 6-3). Kayati did not finish her match. Three Louisville players (Fellerhoff, Velasquez, Villajuan) did not finish today, as well as the doubles team of Fellerhoff/Shine.
Cards play tomorrow at noon. Card Nation, we must be supportive of them tomorrow.
As always, Go Cards.
Tags: Louisville Cardinals